Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Gift of Nothing

The Gift of Nothing
By Julie Stankowski

What a great day! It’s Valentine’s Day. It’s 3:00 p.m. I’m in my pajamas and I’ve done nothing today! I repeat. What a great day! And there’s still more to come. An afternoon exchanging Valentine’s with my kids and hubby, an evening out with friends and who knows?!!!

I’m really not sure when I developed such a huge fondness for doing nothing. I love doing nothing! In fact, one of my favorite things to do is to do nothing! I know, I am really weird, but it’s the truth. So for Valentine’s Day, in addition to letting me sleep really late, my husband gave me the gift of being able to do nothing! Thank you, honey! Yes, he also got me flowers and some gifts I have not yet opened, but the gift of nothingness is priceless! And nothingness becomes even more spectacular when there is no one in the house but you. When you are a wife and mom, doing nothing in an empty house is such a rarity that it is a treasured gift when it occurs. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want it all the time and I love, love, love when my family is around, but there is a lot to be said for solitude, quiet and nothingness once in a while (not to mention cozy pajamas).

I have been enjoying my gift of nothing all day. Then, I got another gift. The doorbell rang and it was my parents. My dad wanted to bring me my Valentine’s card and gift (if you read my Valentine’s post, you know what a special tradition this is for me and my dad). They also wanted to see the kids and were quite disappointed to find “just their daughter” and not their grandkids home. But I understand. In fact, I love that! I love how much they love my children! It’s awesome. And it’s awesome having your parents around. For so many reasons! I am so grateful!

Now, my husband and kids just walked in. Time for Valentine’s galore. We don’t do anything half way in my house! It’s all or nothing. So, in about 15 minutes, the flowers on my entryway table will be joined by an abundance of Hallmark and homemade cards and overflowing with love! That’s how it should be! Today and every day! Love in the air, permeating all the nooks and crannies of your house and your heart.

Nothingness is priceless, but only because of the existence of love and family. Without that, occasional nothingness wouldn’t be priceless at all. It would just be nothing. Now, go have a great day and show your family how much you love them! And then later, maybe, you can do nothing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.tHANK YOU!
m